Counsellors in training who are interested in a placement with us can register their interest for a place on our next Recruitment Day
by sending in their CV to the office. All enquiries are acknowledged by our administrator.
Applicants will need to:
- have completed a certificate or foundation year in counselling accredited by a professional body such as the BACP or UKCP.
- complete our application form and return to us.
- read our Key facts
Following application there is a selection process. Successful applicants will be asked to:
- attend our Recruitment Day on Saturday 7th November.
- email copies of any certificates or diplomas they have already completed which relate to their counselling work.
- email a photo of themselves.
Following recruitment day
- selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview.
Following the interview selected applicants will
- be asked to provide references
- attend our induction process.
- provide a DBS certificate.
- be offered a placement subject to counselling venue and supervision group compatibility.
Benefits for Volunteers
- Counsellors are assigned clients according to their level of experience and specialisms (following client assessment and careful consideration by our senior counsellors and Clinical Services Manager).
- Fortnightly supervision in groups of no more than four with very experienced supervisors in line with BACP recommendations. We can arrange the client workload to suit students who are required
- to have supervision at college.
- CPD training events.
- The opportunity to work in small teams ensuring safety and providing support.
- Counsellors’ meetings held quarterly providing support as well as an opportunity to feedback issues or queries to the service.
- The experience of working for an established, highly professional charity.
- A range of clinical experience and regular personal reviews.
- A safe working environment to counsel clients .
- The opportunity to accrue counselling, supervision and training hours that will count towards course requirements as well as BACP accreditation.
Counsellors pay £25 a month by Standing Order to subsidise supervision and administrative costs.
Counsellors are required to:
- To offer a maximum of three counselling sessions per week. Counsellors working in the evenings are
sometimes requested to work in teams, which means even if you have just one client you are required to stay the for the three hour duration
2.Commit themselves to the service for a minimum period of eighteen months. giving two months’ notice of the intention to resign. Initially, all volunteers are offered a three-month
probationary contract which will be extended after a successful probationary review. After this, placements will be reviewed annually.
3.Operate according to the policies and procedures of The Counselling Partnership. This includes a commitment to working respectfully with individual difference in line with the agency’s policy on Equal Opportunities.
4.Fulfil the administrative responsibilities delegated to them as regards procedures for note keeping, communication and the handling of funds.
5.Participate in regular supervision sessions provided by The Counselling Partnership in addition to any other supervision arrangements they may have set up.
6.Pay attention to their own personal development, including personal therapy.
7.Participate in regular counsellor meetings which take place every two-three months.
Here are some comments made by former counsellors:
‘My journey started with The Counselling Partnership and I believe that what I have become today is to a great extent thanks to the training and opportunities given to me by the Counselling Partnership’. (SK)
I felt very safe as a counsellor in training when I started with The Counselling Partnership. I was able, alongside my clients, to grow and develop with them. I was supported in so many ways by the organisation.
I valued group supervision and training days where I was able to share and learn with my fellow counsellors. There was fun, laughter and tears. A special combination.
I shall never forget how much TCP has given me. (KN)
“Thanks so much for the opportunity and experience of working at The Counselling Partnership and the help you have given me” (NR) left Dec 14